Why Gen VII Sucks

Discussion about the current generation of Pokémon games, Generation VII.
thotsi
Founder
Founder

Why Gen VII Sucks

Post by thotsi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:41 am

why gen 7 is objectively terrible

ok, they arent bad games but i feel like they are better described as 'good rpgs, terrible pokemon games' and that is because they take so much away from what makes the gameplay of the series good in the first place

things i like about gen 7:
trials
music
gameplay
difficulty
postgame

yes, the difficulty is actually good in gen 7, in fact, the difficulty of all of the games is completely fine. often you find that people who say the games are too easy are actually fucking retarded, because i look at their game and they're running with their battle style on 'SHIFT' and their team is comprised of a starter and psuedo-legendaries. 'oh but i turned the exp. share off' - exp. share changes nothing about difficulty, it just speeds up the gameplay. the real difficulty setting is your own choices you make (and putting the battle style on 'SET'). not saying you have to play nuzlocke, i hate nuzlockes, but you know, use some underdog pokes, or try a monotype team if the game is so easy...

that's a different rant anyway, ultra sun and moon (which is what i refer to as gen 7 because since their release, regular sun/moon has become completely irrelevant) was in fact pretty well balanced in terms of difficulty, so good job guys.

also, every pokemon soundtrack is really solid so thats obviously a good thing, and team rainbow rocket was really good, so...

things that really really suck about gen 7:
storytelling
rotomdex
ride pager
uber pandering

ok so everyone bitches about the cutscenes which is pretty understandable, the story itself is good but it is A) told really badly and B) does not belong in a pokemon game, which is why i say gen 7 is a good RPG and not a good pokemon game

for every generation prior to 7 the story was *yours*. it was your journey from when you inputted your name going on travels with the pokes you met along the way climbing to the top to be the very best like no one ever was, fucking up some criminals because you're a Sweet Young Lady. that's the story i cared about. the story i dont care about is hau's latest trip to the masalada cafe, which rotomdex rubs in and reminds me about every 20 seconds! no! by the way, what the fuck is lillie even doing? i played this story through twice and i still don't even know what use she has other than jailbait but moot point

speaking of the rotom dex, fuck the flags. flags ruin this series. eat a dick. this is my journey, and i want to find things on my own. every time i TRY and find things on my own, the rotom dex points me in the other direction telling me about hau is having a great time. once again, i dont give a fuck, i'm raising my slowpoke, leave me alone, i want to explore this cave, leave me alone. like, in gen 2 there were places you could go that didn't serve any real purpose but you'd spend a good 2 hours exploring it anyway, like the dark cave or the lake of rage exterior, and you would go there and check everything out because you didn't know where to go and that was a GOOD thing because this is MY JOURNEY AND NOT HAU'S.

god this is the most autistic thing ive ever written ANYWAY

ride pager is the absolute worst thing in the game. ok so IGN said 'too many hms', so let's think logically about the possible solutions to this problem:
- Make HMs less cumbersome by making them more useful in battle so you don't feel like you're wasting a move slot. Surf is a great move, I don't mind carrying it. Flash is pretty cool. To solve the problem, make all the other HMs as good as those two. nice.
- Make field obstacles based on type. Pretty good solution and it'll make sense why in a bit. Basically, as long as you have the badge to use the 'HM', if you have a pokemon that should be able to perform the move in the overworld, it can. it makes sense, i shouldn't have to teach my dragon how to fly, it should know how.
- ride pager. fuck the ride pager
I see HMs and field obstacles as a tool for keeping me immersed. It's *immersive* to have me and my team work TOGETHER in the world to get past obstacles. They respect and obey me once i have the badges to use the HM, and then they do it. good stuff. i like HMs. not without their problems, but i like HMs.
Now, with the ride pager, i'm not immersed. me and my team aren't working together to get past an obstacle. instead, im renting some schmuck's charizard to fly on. what the fuck? I raised my beautiful bird together arduously and he aint flying me fuckin nowhere, but this charizard i have no connection to? cool, mate. cool.

last thing is a small thing and its cramming all the legendaries into one minigame area that's lazy and shit. fuck that. i really miss when i had to solve massively cryptic puzzles for my chance to fight articuno or regice. we haven't seen this since gen 5. in fact, ALL of the puzzles are missing in gen 7. i really miss the strength mazes, and the braille, and the dive mazes. instead of the 'hard mode' everyone wants, can i get a 'using at least 0.2% of my brain' mode again? thanks.

ok yeah i just spent 20 minutes writing 1000 words about what i dont like about some game so i can send it to one person on twitter. gen 7 makes me autistically angry
we chilean

cleffei
Admin
Admin

Re: Why Gen VII Sucks

Post by cleffei » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:45 am

nice to see we can fall back on this if pastebin ever dies

part of me wants to play the games just to see for myself how they fare but I dont want to end up playing a bad game and burning myself out on the series as a whole D:
chocolate milk does not come from brown cows

thotsi
Founder
Founder

Post by thotsi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:26 am

cleffei wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:45 am
nice to see we can fall back on this if pastebin ever dies

part of me wants to play the games just to see for myself how they fare but I dont want to end up playing a bad game and burning myself out on the series as a whole D:
i am adopting a more positive attitude on these forums my friend as you can see..
we chilean

cleffei
Admin
Admin

Post by cleffei » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:28 am

thotsi wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:26 am
i am adopting a more positive attitude on these forums my friend as you can see..
just leave the gen 7 threads as spaces to vent :v
chocolate milk does not come from brown cows