Favourite Gen VI Megas

Discussion about the Generation VI Pokémon games - X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
cleffei
Admin
Admin

Favourite Gen VI Megas

Post by cleffei » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:31 pm

Ok so I don;t even like mega pokémon as a concept. I think they're really unbalanced and the meta was so focused on only like two of them that since you could only use one per team, you may as well use the best one - you'd be silly not to. This lead to super stale VGC teams for the era and left a bad taste in many people's mouths.

This ian't about their competitive viability though. This is about their design!
I've never used any of these in battle besides maybe Latias and Ampharos a combined total of 4 times so I really have no opinion on these new forms besides their appearance.

in no particular order, here are my faves c:

Mega Ampharos

So Mega Ampharos is a bit over the top with all that hair wool fleece whatever, but it keeps the base design intact, which is a good thing cause Ampharos is already super cute, I can't really think of much else they could do with the design. It makes little sense when you think about it, the Mareep line loses its wool as it becomes electrically stronger, as shown by its evolutionary progress - you'd think Ampharos would somehow not even have skin at this rate, but they threw on some crazy luscious hair. Combined with all the small red jewels in the tail fluff, I think it just looks really sweet and cuddly while keeping true to all the assets regular Ampharos had in the first place! (although the black hoof thingies are a bit distracting imo)

Mega Audino

Mega Audino is the resident disappointment from Gen V fans in terms of wanting megas - it's the only one that got a mega evolution, and no one really remembers it. A shame really cause it's so darn cute. I love the tonal change from pink and cream to a more softer pink all around, with added white and red. The red eyes in particular are very striking to me, and they look so luxurious with all that shimmering going on. The bow tie placement of the front fluff is charming too, The design reminds me of Sylveon a bit with all the décor going on - the antennae are a lot longer now and the added two by the bow tie fluff give it that extra oomph that really ties it all together.

Mega Lopunny

Mega Lopunny carried on the trend of megas I like keeping in touch with their original design, probably the most behind a later entry on this list. It's ridiculous in concept, but I love how they somehow managed to get torn tights onto its legs, they really add to the design overall I feel cause it really shows off the more scrappy nature of Mega Lopunny and its newly gained fighting type. The black is also a good compliment to Lopunny as a whole, the base design wasn't offering much in black hues besides the sclera of the eyes. I feel like it balances out the core design nicely. The super long braided ears are a plus too.

Mega Kangashkan

Mega Kangaskhan needs little explanation as to why it's pretty great. We finally get to see that baby doing things! Moreso toddler in this case as it's gotten a bit of an age boost it seems. The general look of Kangaskhan is unchanged but the baby is altered to be more sharper, less rounded and to look a lot more like its mother. The eyes are a notable difference - going from all black orbs to fully developed eyes, much like that of an actual baby animal as it grows older! It also debunks a lot of old rumours of Cubone being an orphaned baby Kangaskhan, which is unfortunate as that was one of my favourites but it's definitely a cool concept executed pretty well here.

Mega Latias

Mega Latias is a bit of a weird pick, mostly because it's so similar to Mega Latios. When comparing the regular Lati twins, there's an obvious difference between the two right from a glance - the colours. Their mega forms do a cool little nod to this by mixing both red and blue to make a soft lavender purple tone that is pretty nice to just look at. The design itself is alright, not one of my favourites but These guys go way back to when Pokémon X and Y were first datamined. We found out about them all the way back then and they were never released officially until Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, which is just interesting to me. Finally getting off of this tangent - I choose Latias over Latios mostly due to my personal connection to Latias, I had always played the versions that had her in them by sheer chance. That and Mega Latias's eyes are way cuter, and eyes are very important to an overall design in my opinion!

And that's it! Hope you enjoyed reading me ramble on about character design like I actually have any clue what I'm talking about. Do tell me what your favourites are, even from just a design standpoint like I did! If you have a preferred list based purely on practical in-game use do share that too if you'd like c:
chocolate milk does not come from brown cows

thotsi
Founder
Founder

Re: Favourite Gen VI Megas

Post by thotsi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:17 am

Nice post! Honestly I think a big problem with the design of megas is simply being overdesigned! All of your picks have something in common that the others don't and that is subtlety. Mega Ampharos is beautiful, Mega Lopunny is a black belt version of the original.. Then you look at something like Mega Aerodactyl and it's just.. a lot of spikes? Really annoying.

That being said, I'll give a shortlist of my favourites too!

Image Image Image

Definitely these three are my favourites. Some of the designs are too gross with unnecessary features, spikes, etc. everywhere. I feel like these add enough to the design to make it worthwhile without being over the top. Some megas end up being too subtle, for example, Mega Venusaur, to the point where it may as well not even exist.. Oh, also, I threw in Blastoise there simply because.. Who doesn't love those fucking arm cannons?
we chilean

cleffei
Admin
Admin

Post by cleffei » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Exactly, some of them are horribly overdesigned. Your picks are good too though!
I just love how they've been totally dropped with no new ones introduced in almost 4 years now lmao
chocolate milk does not come from brown cows

thotsi
Founder
Founder

Post by thotsi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:30 pm

cleffei wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:35 pm
Exactly, some of them are horribly overdesigned. Your picks are good too though!
I just love how they've been totally dropped with no new ones introduced in almost 4 years now lmao
yeah i agree that is !!really epic!!

the concept of them sucked really it was just to fix existing pokemon typing wise n bullshit
we chilean