Gen 1 Appreciation Thread

Discussion about any pre-WFC generation of Pokémon - generations I - III.
cleffei
Admin
Admin

Gen 1 Appreciation Thread

Post by cleffei » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:00 am

Was remembering just how godmode gen 1 was in terms of player freedom. You can really do the last 5 gyms in almost any order you please when you think about it. Beat Misty, get cut, go to Celadon, skipping Surge, skip Erika if you really want to, do Silph Co. and then skip Sabrina, fight Koga, get surf then maybe even fight Blaine??
Like imagine beating Blaine before Surge. I'm not even sure if it's doable but I can't think of any roadblocks besides surf, which you can get anyways.

vey nice region
chocolate milk does not come from brown cows

thotsi
Founder
Founder

Re: Gen 1 Appreciation Thread

Post by thotsi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:20 am

it was awesome and is a perfect example of how well pokemon can work when made semi open-world. crystal clear (the rom hack, i will write a review at some point' fell flat on this. the game needs some linearity before branching off, lest you get swamped by the dev having to over-balance everything and fucking it all up.

i miss tajiri, he knew what tf he was doing.
we chilean

cleffei
Admin
Admin

Post by cleffei » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:24 am

yeah that seems to be the main issue with a bunch of open world games now, theyre too open right at the start with no foundation. it's important to have some sort of push, even triple A open world games have routes the devs want you to take.

he really did know his shit, thats for sure

thotsi
Founder
Founder

Post by thotsi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:29 am

cleffei wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:24 am
yeah that seems to be the main issue with a bunch of open world games now, theyre too open right at the start with no foundation. it's important to have some sort of push, even triple A open world games have routes the devs want you to take.

he really did know his shit, thats for sure
to be honest (and spooky opinion), i believe that firered/leafgreen are the best games in the main series. they added enough but not too much to take away from the original experience. heartgold and soulsilver were absolutely stellar games but i feel like a lot of things that piled on into that game were unnecesary and could have been better spent on other things. (following pokemon etc was good, but i would rather have seen something more akin to the sevii islands than the "extra content" that was provided in hgss in comparison)
we chilean

cleffei
Admin
Admin

Post by cleffei » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:36 am

thotsi wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:29 am
wholeheartedly agree, frlg are probably the best in the series all cause of that balance. Nothing substantial was removed, everything that was added felt meaningful and not random bloat. Guess you could argue that the gen 2 evolutions to some mon should have been in the main story but I never really noticed an issue with it. I cant believe when some people give frlg shit cause they're "uninteresting remakes" or whatever