I Miss Spin Offs

Discussion about any non main-series Pokémon game should go here.
cleffei
Admin
Admin

I Miss Spin Offs

Post by cleffei » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Remember how each gen had like a bunch of spin offs, gen 1 had 2 stadium games, snap, puzzle league, etc.
Each generation did this well until like gen 6, aruguably gen 5. I'll give gen 5 the pass since Conquest was actually pretty good, also had the second poképark game which at least is a full game and that typing game was pretty nifty for the DS. Gen 6 had....? one mystery dungeon game and I literally can't recall anything else. It seems like the focus for spin off titles has shifted from actual full games to just simple mobile excursions like GO and Shuffle.

It's just a shame considering how great some of these spin off games were to see little to no love for these established secondary franchises in themselves :(
chocolate milk does not come from brown cows

thotsi
Founder
Founder

Re: I Miss Spin Offs

Post by thotsi » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:34 pm

there have still been a few spinoff games i think but i dont think they have been of the same calibre that the older spinoffs were from eons gone by. i would say 'wheres another pokemon tcg game' but there's the online PC one and a modern version of PTCG would lose all of the charm.

I haven't played Detective Pikachu yet, I wonder how good it is. That, and Pokken Tournament - not my cup of tea. Spin off games are really hit and miss. I think that's the point, but it's also the problem.
we chilean

cleffei
Admin
Admin

Re: I Miss Spin Offs

Post by cleffei » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:40 am

I knew I forgot a few lmao. Just goes to show then doesn't it? I really wanted to like Pokken, but I'm really just not all that into fighters and now if I even want to get back into it I'd really have to buy the Switch version since most of the player base is there now which just dejects me even further :/
chocolate milk does not come from brown cows